Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Hyperlink in Meta Info> Description?

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hi!

When I use maybe the Input Data Tool the Meta Info>> Decripition show a linktext (Open Example).

link_in_description.JPG

But how can I achieve that?

If I done with the input in the URL and the Display Text (Optional) field nothing happens.

description_entry.JPG

testmacro.JPG

Where is my mistake?

Mathias

4 REPLIES 4
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mathias_schnoor,

This URL option and Display Text are only available for use on the Gallery. The "Open Example" option you show is something coded into the tools, and not an option for Macro development in Alteryx. If you were to publish your Macro to the Gallery, you would see Open Example with the Hyperlink you provided. Here is an example of a Macro published on the Gallery:

url.png

Best,

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hi @SophiaF,

thank you for your support.

I have built to your instructions. thanks. It works.

testmacro.JPG

But it is possible for me to develop in Alteryx the link in the Macro Decription Text to use in the macro in the Alteryx Designer like the Input Data Tool?

For example:

mymacro_with_open_example_included.JPG

Mathias

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mathias_schnoor,

Unfortunately, this is not able to be done within Alteryx. These are hard coded into the tools on the backend (and they only reference other workflows within Alteryx, not URL links). Feel free to suggest it here in the Alteryx Product Ideas forum! Link

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
DamienMinter
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mathias_schnoor @SophiaF,

This should be possible by updating the raw XML of the Alteryx Workflow as I can see some tags for this in the MetaInfo. I have used the data cleansing tool as an example. 

<MetaInfo>
      <NameIsFileName value="False" />
      <Name>Data Cleansing</Name>
      <Description>Perform basic data cleansing operations such as replacing null values, removing punctuation, and modifying capitalization.</Description>
      <RootToolName />
      <ToolVersion />
      <ToolInDb value="False" />
      <CategoryName>Preparation</CategoryName>
      <SearchTags>trim whitespace, clean, dirty, fix, remove, tabs, newline, tab, extra, redundant, cleanse, white space, data, preparation category, clean</SearchTags>
      <Author>Neil Ryan, Ben Gomez</Author>
      <Company>Alteryx, Inc.</Company>
      <Copyright>Alteryx, Inc.</Copyright>
      <DescriptionLink actual="" displayed="" />
      <Example>
        <Description>Open Example</Description>
        <File>02 Preparation\Data_Cleansing.yxmd</File>
      </Example>
    </MetaInfo>

DataCleanseXMLMetaInfo.PNG

I haven't tested this to see if it would work and am not entirely sure where the file would need to be saved to (prob in one of the install folders).

To update the raw metadata of an Alteryx workflow, just open it using notepad etc rather than using Alteryx.

Labels