community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Community v19.6

Looks aren't everything... But the latest Community refresh looks darn good!

Learn More

Human Resources - Performance Review Workflow Automation

Highlighted
Meteoroid

[Updated 5:00pm central - some progress made]

- Workflow of three sheets to one complete

Thank you in advance for reading this! I have gained a lot of insight from this community and I am beyond thankful.

I am trying to do some things that my HRIS platform doesn't provide. Here is a simple issue I'm having and trying to build.

Making a workflow that takes three .csv files and helps output:

1. Who has a review coming up for the next month

2. If anyone is past due for a review that should have taken place

3. If someone is at the "top out" pay rate, trigger the HR Generalist 

4. If not topped out, indicate the next level increase that is possible (We have a pay scale that has 5 levels... so for example: if they are paid below level 3, they should have the potential to go to level 4)

Where I am at so far...

1. I took my three excel sheets and blended them together into one. Thus my historical raises are married in a sheet with the demographic data. I also merged made a colomn to show what the pay rate should be for the job title (in case they are over or under paid for the title in the system). 

That being said, I need to build out future reviews that should take place... Annual review dates virtually built.

A bit more context:

- each position that an associate holds is a combination of the facility they work at, the role, and what level they are at. 

Facility Code       +            Job Title                        =            Job Code

5             Production Associate5PRD-A

- each position has 6 levels of pay... including entry level for that role. 

Starting Pay                        1                            2                            3                          4                           5

$             12.00              12.97              13.50              14.25              15.00              16.00

so people that are production associate are paid anywhere in between and able to move up levels at any time they achieve a certain skill set... but if they get to an annual review before leveling up, I want to be able to report where they could be next. Note - they may not get the full increase to the next level if not qualified for all the skills. That being said, I still want the manager to have the reference for what the next possible rate could be on best case scenario. 

Example of report out as a result of the three data sources working together.

*The last associate is above the max out rate due to being a legacy associate but they are red circled until the pay rates catch up to them.

Associate

Level

Job Code

Hire Date Hourly Rate Potential IncreasePast Review DateReview TypeNext Review DateUpcoming Review TypeStatus
Production Associate 1Level 11PRD-A13/14/2019 $          12.50

$12.97

5/13/2019

60 Day Review

6/12/2019

90 Day Review

Upcoming

Production Associate 2Level 21PRD-A25/1/2018 $          12.97$13.507/30/201890 Day Review5/1/2019Annual ReviewPast Due
Production Associate 3Maxed Out1PRD-A4*1/1/2015 $          17.45Maxed out1/1/2019Annual Review

1/1/2020

Annual ReviewUpcoming

Making headway.PNGI've managed to get use a tool I found in the community blogs to get my wages and titles to the place where i can use them and then merge with other sheets

Community Operations Manager

@TWilkinson,

Making a workflow that takes three .csv files and helps output:

1. Who has a review coming up for the next month:

You will need to use datetimediff function here to see who is less than 30 days out from their review date.

2. If anyone is past due for a review that should have taken place:

If anyone is less than 30 days, use a Filter tool to filter out the less than 30 days.

3. If someone is at the "top out" pay rate, trigger the HR Generalist:

Filter out your "top Out" associates and use the Email tool to send HR Generalist the list of associates in the Email

4. If not topped out, indicate the next level increase that is possible (We have a pay scale that has 5 levels... so for example: if they are paid below level 3, they should have the potential to go to level 4)

You will need to use something like an if Statement and may need to Transpose the data to compare to the levels to see where they are at. You could also use a Multi-Row formula tool as well.

Meteoroid

@DanM

Thank you for taking time to reply to me. I didn't see anything in your post though aside from my end goals simplified into a comment. Did I miss something?

@TWilkinson ,

Sorry, I hit enter before I finished!.

See above

DanM

Meteoroid

This is helpful. I am trying to figure out the best way to share what I've done in alteryx... without exposing private information. Any ideas on how to simply share my workflow without exposing the data of the company or individuals that is proprietary? 

It may be more helpful to you and others in your attempts to help me. I am also going to the Inpsire conference so I assume there will be opportunities there to work with people with my live data and not compromise it.

For 1 & 2  - I think I've got that down. 

For 3 (email) - when I've used the email tool, it's sent 1,000+ emails as I think it's sending an email for every row in the document. I am guessing that I need to not go from the raw reports to email but perhaps make use of this tab of items and then email the result of that...

Reporting tab.PNG

is that right? If so - I will need to go somewhere to figure out how to use this tab. 

For 4 - (multirow formula) what are you thinking here? IF pay is less than level 4 and greater than level 3 or equal to a level 3 rate, return the level 4 rate? Not quite sure how to think through this. I am used to using IF/THEN in excel as well as Vlookup / INDEX but now that I have a powerful tool like alteryx, I am still learning to translate that knowledge to the platform's abilities. 

Meteoroid

@DanM

Lastly, any insights on how to dynamically create dates that would be the individuals' next review?

For example:

1. If you are newly hired - you have a 60 day - 90 day then annual reviews. These three dates, I have created using DATEADD but now I need to figure out how to add the 2nd annual review, 3rd annual review... etc. (in perpetuity as needed)

2. If you are a 4 year tenured associate, you have already surpassed the dates auto-generated, above and I just need to figure out your next annual review

Labels