Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How we create a .exe or BAT file in Alteryx to run via cmd line.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Can anyone help on step to create a .exe file in Alteryx to run workflow via command line.

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @rohit782192,

Does your company have Alteryx Server? Once you build the workflows in Alteryx Designer you can publish them to Alteryx Server for scheduling as well as leveraging command line and API methods for kicking off workflows. The basic Designer license does not have this functionality.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@rohit782192 You need an Alteryx Scheduler license or a Server license to run alteryx workflows through the cmd or via exe. The way you can do this is by calling the Alteryx engine then the workflow location.

For ex:

"D:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" "D:\Alteryxworkflow1.yxmd"

Digan
Alteryx
CharltonFranklin
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your suggestion. Here was my command with masked path info in [brackets]:

@Echo OFF
TITLE Running Alteryx Workflow...
"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxService.exe" "C:\Users\[username]\[Folder with spaces]\[Folder with spaces]\Alteryx\[File Name].yxmd"

I got this error:

AlteryxService version: 2020.1.5.25447 PID: 10812 main thread: 7500
Logging disabled.
There was an error starting the Alteryx Service:
Unknown command line parameter: "C:\Users\[username]\[Folder with spaces]\[Folder with spaces]\Alteryx\[File Name].yxmd"
AlteryxService_SvcReportEvent unhandled exception.

What do you think I got wrong with my syntax?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's a link to the documentation on Command Line execution of Alteryx workflows:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/run-workflows-command-line 

@rohit782192 wrote:

Can anyone help on step to create a .exe file in Alteryx to run workflow via command line.

All you need to do is write the command line text, save it as a text file with the ".bat" extension. You can even send that .bat file to a Run Command tool for one Alteryx workflow to run another. However, if that's all you need, I'd suggest the CReW Runner macros. 

@CharltonFranklin wrote:

@Echo OFF
"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxService.exe" "C:\Users\[username]\[Folder with spaces]\[Folder with spaces]\Alteryx\[File Name].yxmd"

It looks like you need to replace "AlteryxService.exe" with "AlteryxEngineCmd.exe"

CharltonFranklin
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. That did help. This is my new code:

@Echo OFF
"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" "C:\Users\[username]\[Folder with spaces]\[Folder with spaces]\Alteryx\[File Name].yxmd"

Which now results in this error. I'm working with Alteryx Support on this one:

AlteryxEngineCmd.exe Version 2020.1.5.25447 c Alteryx, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
Started running C:\Users\[username]\[Folder with spaces]\[Folder with spaces]\Alteryx\[File Name].yxmd
Error - Alteryx Engine: The Feature "API or FlowChartMode" is not licensed.
Finished in 0.970 seconds with 1 error

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Happy to help!

@CharltonFranklin wrote:

Error - Alteryx Engine: The Feature "API or FlowChartMode" is not licensed.

That's the bit telling you that this must be run on a machine that has a Server license. 

moicq
5 - Atom

Hello, could you help me, I get that message, did you manage to solve it or is there any other method to be able to execute alteryx flow? My account is on a trial basis for 1 student year. thanks

Labels