Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to work with a csv file without hearders? (Gallery)

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I use Text Box/Action/Input Data tools (for use in Gallery) to input a csv file that does not have headers in any row. The position of the data changed each time the file is received. The data I need start from the row that has "All" in first column. So, I first added a Select tool and renamed the first column to A with data type - string. Then, added a filter: [A]="All". I am able to run this workflow to success and obtain the output file with expected results in Alteryx Designer. However, when I tested it in Gallery, I got an error for the Filter tool, indicating Unknow variable "A". Should a different tool than Select/rename column be used, and how?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @gc-804 - It's difficult to confidently suggest a solution for you without seeing your data and workflow. However, I'd like to ask if you want to try reading your data with Option 6 switched off? This will allow you to get rid of the Select tool and set a Filter tool to [Field_1] instead:

ArtApa_0-1661743004864.png

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hi @ArtApa,

Thank you for your response. I should correct - the input file is in Excel file format, not in csv. No, option 6 was not on. Attached are that part of the workflow and the input file with made-up data. Everything including field A1 in input file changed each time a different file is received. The row with "ALL" is not starting in the same row on each of different files. It does not read in as [Field_1] but as the content in field A1 and why I used a Select tool to rename it. The workflow works in Designer, but not in Gallery and it's where I need help with. Thanks.

Labels