Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use the formula icon to check specifically the third character of a string?

sehgaln
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to use the 'if' expression under the formula tool, but can't figure out how to check the third character of a string

18 REPLIES 18
sehgaln
8 - Asteroid

So I am adding a new column in the formula field, and I would like all the expressions to be under this new column I am creating. (I am a brand new Alteryx user, so I apologize if I am not clear).

1. If the third character in [Field1] = 'X', then set the value for the new column I just created to be null. 

2. If the third character in [Field1] = 'A', then combine 201 with the last digit of [Field1] and subtract 10. (need help with the subract portion)

3. If the third character in [Field1] = 'S', then combine 201 with the last digit of [Field1]

sehgaln
8 - Asteroid

So I am adding a new column in the formula field, and I would like all the expressions to be under this new column I am creating. (I am a brand new Alteryx user, so I apologize if I am not clear).   1. If the third character in [Field1] = 'X', then set the value for the new column I just created to be null.  2. If the third character in [Field1] = 'A', then combine 201 with the last digit of [Field1] and subtract 10. (need help with the subract portion) 3. If the third character in [Field1] = 'S', then combine 201 with the last digit of [Field1]

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@sehgaln

Here's an IF statement that will perform that operation for you.

IF Substring([Field1],2,1)="x" THEN null()
ELSEIF Substring([Field1],2,1)="A" THEN 201+tonumber(right([Field1],1))-10
ELSEIF Substring([Field1],2,1)="S" THEN 201+tonumber(right([Field1],1))
ELSE null() ENDIF

If "201" is a field name, then use "[201]" in the IF statement. Otherwise, the second expression could be simplified to "ELSEIF Substring([Field1],2,1)="A" THEN 191+tonumber(right([Field1],1))"

*Edited for blunder-correction.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sehgaln,

Maybe you could create a sample .xlsx file with the before and after results expected?

@CharlieS read your requirements slightly differently than I did.

CBA999 does it become 200 or 2009?  (201 + 9) - 10 or (2019 -10)

CBS999 does it become 210 or 2019?

If the 2009 & 2019 results are what you are after (my read) then use:

IF	Substring([Field1],2,1)="A" THEN 
	ToString(ToNumber("201" + Right([Field1],1)) -10) ELSEIF 
	Substring([Field1],2,1)="S" THEN 
		"201" + right([Field1],1)
ELSE 
	null() 
ENDIF

You'll note that the 3rd position in the substring() function is actually 2 because this function is zero-based.  The first character is 0.  I also removed the search for "X" because null() is the default when A and S are not found.  I also capitalized the A and S.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@sehgaln - 

As @MarqueeCrew stated, it depends on your interpretation of what you mean by "combine 201 with the last digit of [Field1]" but you could still use the "iif" statements if you wanted. Below is an example:

IIF(REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(..)(.)(.*)","$2")="X",NULL(),
IIF(REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(..)(.)(.*)", "$2")="A",ToString(ToNumber("201" + Right([Field1],1)) -10),
IIF(REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(..)(.)(.*)", "$2")="S","201" + Right([Field1],1),NULL())))

and of course, if you wanted to use the substring function, you could switch out the regex_replace here as well. 

So many great ways to accomplish one task!

sehgaln
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew

In the example of CBA999 the result needs to be 2009. So 201, and then append the last digit on there, 2019, and then subtract 10, 2009. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Then you can use the solution that I provided above to get that result.

IF	Substring([Field1],2,1)="A" THEN 
	ToString(ToNumber("201" + Right([Field1],1)) -10) ELSEIF 
	Substring([Field1],2,1)="S" THEN 
		"201" + right([Field1],1)
ELSE 
	null() 
ENDIF

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sehgaln
8 - Asteroid

Thank you! How would I concatenate the 4th character of a string? Like "201" plus the 4th character in ABC27. So 2012. 

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@sehgaln I'm not sure if you want that in your if statement somewhere but either of these expressions will get you the 4th character in your string:

REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(...)(.)(.*)","$2")
Substring([Field1],3,1)
Labels