Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use the Drop down functionality to assign a specific value for multiple rows

Julianus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

currently I am trying to implement a drop down functionality in my workflow in order for 

users to select a certain "category" for a specific row value.

Please see the attached screenshot for a visualisation of the idea.

So in the example the class is already provided in a standard report, but the user of the workflow needs to select the related category per class type himself. For the category I have a pre-defined number of options. I think that somehow these categories can be included in a drop down and somehow be assigned to a class with a drop down menu. 

Can someone help me explain how I can implement this?

kind regards,

8 REPLIES 8
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Julianus ,

Do you mean something like this?

AngelosPachis_0-1611918304879.png

Cheers,

Angelos

Julianus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Angelos,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the workflow you attached. I actually want to assign the category myself with the drop down tool.

So, in the standard report, the category column is not included, but I want the user of the workflow select the appropriate

category for each class themselves for each class type.

Perhaps a drop down tool is not suitable than, but I am not sure about this.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Julianus ,

Please find attached a working example.

To set the Dropdown values yourself, you need to select the manual option. This would enable you to define name:value pairs.

jagdeeshn_0-1611927168217.png

Do let me know if this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Julianus ,

Is this what you are after? To allow your user to define which category falls under which class with a drop-down?

Test.gif

Julianus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jagdeeshn,

thanks for your reply, but this is not exactly what I was looking for!

Julianus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Angelos,

thank you very much! This is the dropdown I am looking for. 

My only challenge is now that the categories are a fixed range of possibilities, but the class column

can be much more dynamic. So the class can also be d, e, f. 

I can close this topic and ask perhaps this as a new question on the forum.

Thanks for the quick help!

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@Julianus 

You would have to bring more dropdown tools in so you can have a single drop down tool for each one of your class unfortunately. I couldn't think of a dynamic way to do that, so you should know the number of classes a priori your workflow runs.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers,

Angelos

cycyg
7 - Meteor

Hey @Julianus 

Did you manage to solve the dynamic issue? 

Labels