Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to use a main workflow to trigger a sub-process based on what data is passed in?

chrisecoyne
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to build out a main workflow that is able to trigger sub-processes based upon what data is passed in. This all needs to be run from the server environment. Utilizing the server API functionality, data will be passed through to this main workflow. For this example we will use a subject field. I have many other workflows that could be run depending on which subject is passed through to the main workflow. How can I run a specific workflow off the back of the main workflow depending on what data is passed to it?

I have considered the conditional runner tool, but it seems clunky and I can't pass the data on to the sub-process (workflow). Looking for other ideas.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @chrisecoyne 

I think what you are lookin at would be using Chained Apps.

Chaining one workflow to the next one and skipping some based on that conditional set up.

Pedro.

chrisecoyne
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked into chaining an app to another. However, is appears to me like I can chain a second workflow to run on success after the first. How would I go about creating some sort of conditional statement so 1 of 10+ different workflows runs based on the data coming from the first workflow?

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

@chrisecoyne 

If you need to break them out into different workflows, and doing a chained app, maybe the best way is to set up multiple chained apps that are running through them all. In each of them you set up a conditional defined within the first workflow:

Example:

First workflow created a column with the conditional (name of the second WF to run), and then all the other workflows will read that and follow along, if true, apply the changes, if not, complete the WF until the final workflow runs.

It can be a tricky logic, but if we are trying to possibly run WFs based on different conditions, you can do something like this.

Pedro.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @chrisecoyne 

You could consider wrapping this in a macro and using detour tools - that way you can alter the flow dynamically; while also passing data along the flow?

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/gregg-rimmer/using-detour-tool-alteryx

chrisecoyne
6 - Meteoroid

Looking into using the run command tool. Was thinking it may be possible to check data coming in versus a reference data table. Linking a specific APP ID to certain data coming in, I could use run command tool to run specific workflow. Anyone ever test something like that?

ripcityscorp94
6 - Meteoroid

I am also trying to do this, did you ever find success?

Labels