Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use Notepad to change the file path for all inputs and outputs at one time?

PNau
7 - Meteor

I am looking to design a new workflow from a copy of another workflow without updating any of the old workflow input or outputs.

I was thinking I could export the WorkFlow xml path, so I can update all the file input/output paths in Notepad with a find edit and replace without manually changing each path reference (e.g., t:/Active/.... to t:/2017/....)

Once I become more proficient I will learn more advanced techniques to design the workflows better to avoid this issue.

Thanks for any tips to get me started on how to export, I tried Options / Export Workflow / and open the .yxzp file in Notepad but no luck.  I was hoping than to figure out how to have that new path connected to a copy of the original workflow.

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I don't think you need to export your workflows, just edit them in a different way.

Manually:

- Browse to the folder where your workflow is saved.

- Right-click on the workflow (.yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz/etc.) and select Open With > Notepad

- Use Notepad to find and replace the path.

In Alteryx:

- See attached example to parse the XML of a module, replace the path, then save the new module.

- Take caution with tools like this because it makes it easy to change a lot of things very quickly but also makes it easy to break a lot of things very quickly.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi,

If you are looking to just update the file paths, one way to do it is using relative path. Then whichever folder you save the workflow on and run, the input and output files will be taken from that folder.

If you are looking to change input data connections, please try using the aliases. This will enable you to change the input string without making indvidual changes in the workflow.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

PNau
7 - Meteor

Charlie,

I just tried the manual approach, exactly my skill level, worked to a T.  I just had to remember to copy my workflow, create the new path in my network drive and subfolders in advance.  Saved the file and re-ran it.

I will definitely try your second approach another day as it will help me learn faster.

Much appreciated.

Patrick

PNau
7 - Meteor

Jagdeesh,

Thank you, I will definitely try this approach too as it will also help me learn.  I will let you know success or fail...might be a couple of weeks before I advance this far!

Labels