Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to update values for drop down app from a prior tool without first running workflow

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I have a prior tool that includes month/yr that is used to feed into a drop down tool app.  Every month as a new month of data is added, a new month/yr will appear.  However, this new month/yr will not show up in the Drop Down app as an option until the workflow has been run the first time.  How do I get around having to run the workflow twice or is that even possible?  Thank you.    

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Month/Yr is from a tool or from an app? how is it being generated? Drop down is directly linked? Can you give us some more info in terms of workflow design and datatypes? month/yr can be finicky in a drop down because of formatting issues.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ELPC 
I think this is not possible since alteryx is not supporting runtime application.

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Here is a sample workflow.  Currently I have data in the workflow from Jan 2021 to Jun 2021 and it is feeding into the Drop Down as a selection when running the app.  If I were to add in Jul 2021, that month would not be available as a selection in the drop down until I've ran the workflow once.  My question is -  is there a way to not have to run the workflow before the Jul 2021 value would be selectable in the drop down.  Thank you.  

ELPC_0-1625851057866.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ELPC 

This is amazing. I thought this method was amazing. But now I know that this method has a drawback 😐

Thanks for sharing. I don't know about the fix though. Lets see what people have to say.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Yeah - I've been seeing if I can get a workaround via macros and the like and I don't see it happening.... Chained apps are probably your best way to do this... Dropdown will then be updated during first app's run.

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ELPC - You need to run a workflow, but you can create a seamless user experience using chained apps. You can learn how to build chained apps here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120 

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Ok, I got it to work with chained apps.  I have attached the files for others to reference.  

Original Workflow:  

ELPC_0-1626383311451.png

Chained Apps -1st: 

ELPC_1-1626383342916.png

The first app must create a file with two fields called "Name" and "Value" to be used as an external input into the Drop Down tool in the 2nd app.  

ELPC_3-1626383489434.png

Chained app - 2nd: 

ELPC_2-1626383363914.png

This is the configuration of the Drop Down tool that grabs the output file from the 1st app.  

ELPC_4-1626383555679.png

m_v
8 - Asteroid

This has been the best explanation for the chained apps for me!! Many thanks for uploading your example. 

Labels