Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to update run command tool command arguments from workflow

RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx community,

I'm using a run command tool to execute a VBS file, hence, I run "wscript.exe" and as command argument, I input the location of my VBS.

However, the location of the VBS file is generated along my workflow. How do I update my run command tool with the correct directory of my file?

I played around with a batch macro, control parameter and actions tools but I don't see how I actually update the arguments value?

Could somebody please help me on how to do this?

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Here's some help:

https://help.alteryx.com/9.5/Constants.htm

Workflow constants should do the trick.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

I finally found how to properly update my run command tool with the interface tools (my bad). Nevertheless, the constants help document is a very nice thing to know, thanks a lot!

xpacheco
6 - Meteoroid

Please share how you did this? 

RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

I created a batch macro containing the run command tool only. The run command tool is updated using the control parameter tool.

Thereby, you have a marco where the only input is your control parameter.

Generate a branch in your workflow that contains the location of the file to be executed via the run command tool and send that to your batch macro.

pruecklmayer
5 - Atom

Ran into the same issue and many of the proposed solutions do not work (any more).

Here a macro that opens an Excel file - you can adapt the script in the macro easily if you want to do something else in Excel. For my personal use I did not want to close the file, so I keep it open but with commands like

objWorkbook.Save
objWorkbook.Close
objExcel.Quit

you can extend the script.

The filename comes in via macro input

The demo yxmd file shows how to use

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Using the Run command, you can also use a .bat file. This allows you to use the directory tool and a formula tool to create any commands for the .bat file that can then be concatenated in the summarize tool and passed to the run command. No macro required!

jdminton_1-1685705392991.png

Labels