Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to update piped fields in List Box when running analytic app from desktop?

rbrown002
5 - Atom

So I have made my first analytic app and am having trouble updating the field values in a list box question.

Basically, I am bringing in data inputs, and through joins, selects, and more, I am creating a list to carry forward in a list box question to users.

If I just double click the app icon on my desktop, the interface comes up, but the fields in the list boxes are not updated.

The only way I can get the listed values to update is by opening the app in interface designer and running it as a workflow first. Then, and only then, will the fields update to reflect changes in the source files.

Any thoughts on how to get the fields to update automatically when just running as an app?

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @rbrown002,

It sounds like you need to set your process up as a "Chained App". The first app would be used to generate a file that can be used by the second app to generate your list box. Without more information to what changes after "inputs, and through joins, selects, and more", it's difficult to recommend a solution. 

Keep in mind that the interface questions can only use information/metadata that is stored within the workflows configurations or generated when the workflow is initialized before execution.

If you're able to share your workflow/app with some sample data to run through it, or even some screen caps, this would help and take away some of the guess work with finding your solution.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

rbrown002
5 - Atom
Jimmy,

You couldn’t be more right. I had a hunch chaining the apps might be the answer. I ended up copying the portion of the script funneling into the list boxes onto another workflow, replaced the boxes there with files, and used that as an app to trigger the next app upon completion.

It now works perfectly, and I’m on to my next challenge.

Thank you for the help!
Labels