Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to troubleshoot Workflow publishing errors?

JamesTye
6 - Meteoroid

When attempting to save a workflow I am receiving the message that the workflow was not saved because of "Illegal characters in path."  The workflow runs fine without errors locally and I have been able to publish it until I made some additions. Obviously I can debug by reverting to my previous version and adding 1 change at a time then trying to publish, but it seems that Alteryx should be able to provide a hint at where this exception is happening.   Any suggestions?   

10 REPLIES 10
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi JamesTye,

Were you able to save the workflow locally? Would you be able to share it?

Fernando V.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi JamesTye,

One thing that I have checked and it is generating the same problem you are getting is the number of | (pipe) between the file name and sheet name in an excel output. It should be 3 pipes.

Best,

Fernando V.

shawnbearsphelan
6 - Meteoroid

I am getting the same error, but I checked my ouput file and I have three ||| pipes.  Is there anything else that could cause this error?  It is an analytic app that works fine on my desktop computer. 

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

This was the perfect solution. Thank you

Happy Holidays,

Jacob

ScottG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I have noticed that in version 2020.1, running a workflow in Alteryx Designer will compensate/correct if the workflow has Output Data Tools that uses 4 pipe characters in an Excel path.  In other words, Designer is tolerant of that kind of mistyping.  However, publishing to Server will flag this as an error "Illegal characters in path".

So if you see this error, make sure all your paths have 3 pipe characters.

Scott Gurney
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
mdegiule
5 - Atom

I am still getting the error  "Illegal characters in path."  I only have 3 pipes.  Saves fine locally, I get the error when saving to the Gallery.

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

How do I find these illegal characters in a large workflow. I can't check everything.

fluteman
8 - Asteroid

Not sure this is solved. My Workflow has the same error. Agree with other posts Alteryx should be able to run a debugger to locate the illegal characters.

I'm going to have to use windows scheduler. :-(

IbnFazl
5 - Atom

Anyone able to assist..i am having a similar issue when trying to save a large workflow  to the gallery ....difficult to pinpoint what the issue is but getting the message 'illegal characters in path'...is there a quick way to identify what the underlying defect is in the workflow?

Labels