Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to transfer .xlsx files from SFTP

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Can someone provide a solution on get (.xlsx) file from Sftp server to local using Alteryx. I have already tried using download tool but getting below error. but I was able to connect SFTP server using winscp tool.

Error message : Tool #2 Error transferring data: Couldn't connect to server

8 REPLIES 8
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@anbugans,

In your [URL] field, you may need to specify the port to connect to since you're connecting to an SFTP site. 

It should look something like

sftp://data.b2bp.######.com:22/home/########/Outgoing/####_report_11_24_2017.xlsx

... noting the ":22" at the end of the dns. port 22 is the common port for SFTP, but you may need to confirm with your host.

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your reply. As suggested, I tried as below but I am getting the same error. Please help on this.

sftp://data.b2bp.XXXXditors.com:22/home/XXXXadar/Outgoing/XXXXr_Report_11_24_2017.xlsx

Please let me know if any info needed.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@anbugans

Hard to say without inspecting your workflow a bit more. Can you post screenshots of each tab within the download tool?

If you’re comfortable in doing so, PM me your workflow and I’d be happy to take a closer look. I completely understand if you’d prefer not to.

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Thanks again. Attaching the workflow for your validation.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@anbugans,

Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error you're seeing. I don't see anything odd with your Download tools configuration either. Running the workflow with Fiddler running in the background to capture the request being sent and the response returned. Issue being that the server is simply not responding to the connection request.

My guess is that your SFTP is not set up to use port 22. Have you been able to connect to it using other FTP clients (i.e. WinSCP)? Your best bet, however, would be to contact the host admin to see if there's any documentation detailing connection requirements. They may have also have a restriction on which IP's can connect, but it's also possible that their connection/authentication requirements are more complex than what the download tool is supplies by default for SFTP.

Wish I could help more, but this would require sharing more info that wouldn't be appropriate to do so here.

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for looking into this. May be you are correct. I was not able to connect this host from server where Alteryx installed. looks like SFTP server might be configured for specific IP only. Let me check the same with vendor  on enabling IP for sever where Alteryx Installed. Thanks Again for you support.

anbugans
8 - Asteroid

It is working perfect after enabling the IP. Thank you very much for your help.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Awesome! Thank you for following up and sharing what the root cause was.

Labels