Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to subtract values from previous column to values in new column

blitz45
8 - Asteroid

Hi! 

I created and have been trying to automate a report every month on incentives in alteryx.

I've been trying to figure out the best way in subtracting values from a previous column to the new appended column. 

I have attached an example of an appended monthly report. If you look at the data from right to left, I want to create a formula that will always subtract the column 4 and column 1.

Is there anyway we could do that in Alteryx?

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @blitz45 ,

Is it a dynamic column? Would you be able to share a small dataset with your desired output, please?

Best,

FErnando Vizcaino

seven
12 - Quasar

Hi @blitz45 

here you go! Since the relevant fields are always the last and the 3rd from the last, I created a way to number them, apply a formula, and then rename them to the original names. Workflow attached and image enclosed.

By the way, you didn't make it clear if the formula should be 1 - 4 or 4 - 1. I wrote 1 - 4. You can change the formula to suit your needs.

seven_1-1593482726773.png

blitz45
8 - Asteroid

Here's an example of what I want for my output highlighted in yellow. As you can see I have subtracted 6875 - 5589 = 1286. If you look at the data from right to left, the column I will always need to subtract is column 4 and 1 (counting from the right). I hope that makes sense. 

blitz45
8 - Asteroid

Somehow i'm unable to open your workflow. Can you try to describe what you have in your workflow? I tried going off by what you had in your screenshot but I am missing some details and I'm unable to run it. Any help would be awesome! Thank you so much!

seven
12 - Quasar

I attached a packaged workflow earlier. Not sure why you can't open it. I have attached a workflow here. What version of Alteryx are you using?

seven
12 - Quasar

Here is the recipe:

1. Input data
  2. Field Info
  3. RecordID
  4. Sort - RecordID Descending
  5. Select - Uncheck RecordID
  6. RecordID
  7. Dynamic Rename - Left side has Input Data, Right side has RecordID
  8. seven_0-1593520099171.png

9. Formula - Create a new field with a Double data type and an expression of [4] - [1]
  10. Dynamic Rename - Left side has Formula, Right side has RecordID
  11. seven_1-1593520176896.png

That is how I built this. This recipe and the workflow image will get you to the solution.

blitz45
8 - Asteroid

It worked! Thank you!

seven
12 - Quasar

Please mark the answer as a solution. Thank you.

Labels