Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to structure data horizontally instead of vertically

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Designer Community

I am new to Alteryx and hoping to get your help on what might be a fairly simple problem.  I'm building my second workflow and have a problem where currently, the output to xlsx results in the following:

QuestionResponse
SchoolConnecticut High
Class Apple
NameJohn Smith
Grade9
SchoolEpping Junior
ClassOrange
NameTerry White
Grade7
SchoolOrange County
ClassGreen
NameHelen Jane Barnes
Grade4

However, the desired output should be: 

SchoolConnecticut HighEpping JuniorOrange County
Class AppleOrangeGreen
NameJohn SmithTerry WhiteHelen Jane Barnes
Grade97

Thank you in advance for your time and any guidance.

5 REPLIES 5
huynv96
9 - Comet

Hi @j_c ,

So what do you want us to help? transfrom from current output to desire output?

I think you should provide input file and we'll help you to transform to your desire output, it's better.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can use a Tile and CrossTab tool to achieve this. The Tile tool creates sets for you desired rows but re-sorts the data in the process. You can do this manually with a multi-row formula instead if the order of the output rows are important. 

The CrossTab tool then flips the data around.

DavidP_0-1584951950140.png

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks David P - that worked a charm.  It would be great if I could rearrange order of the output e.g. have the name as the first row.  I've tried to play around with the multi-row formula but I am stuck with how to write the expression. Is there any chance you could please help me?  Thank you so much!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

On 2nd thought, perhaps something like this is easier than trying to figure it out with multi-row

DavidP_0-1585126097573.png

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much for your help David!! 

Labels