Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to structure data horizontally instead of vertically

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Designer Community

I am new to Alteryx and hoping to get your help on what might be a fairly simple problem.  I'm building my second workflow and have a problem where currently, the output to xlsx results in the following:

QuestionResponse
SchoolConnecticut High
Class Apple
NameJohn Smith
Grade9
SchoolEpping Junior
ClassOrange
NameTerry White
Grade7
SchoolOrange County
ClassGreen
NameHelen Jane Barnes
Grade4

However, the desired output should be: 

SchoolConnecticut HighEpping JuniorOrange County
Class AppleOrangeGreen
NameJohn SmithTerry WhiteHelen Jane Barnes
Grade97

Thank you in advance for your time and any guidance.

5 REPLIES 5
huynv96
9 - Comet

Hi @j_c ,

So what do you want us to help? transfrom from current output to desire output?

I think you should provide input file and we'll help you to transform to your desire output, it's better.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can use a Tile and CrossTab tool to achieve this. The Tile tool creates sets for you desired rows but re-sorts the data in the process. You can do this manually with a multi-row formula instead if the order of the output rows are important. 

The CrossTab tool then flips the data around.

DavidP_0-1584951950140.png

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks David P - that worked a charm.  It would be great if I could rearrange order of the output e.g. have the name as the first row.  I've tried to play around with the multi-row formula but I am stuck with how to write the expression. Is there any chance you could please help me?  Thank you so much!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

On 2nd thought, perhaps something like this is easier than trying to figure it out with multi-row

DavidP_0-1585126097573.png

j_c
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much for your help David!! 

Labels