Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to skip open files in a directory while reading using dynamic input

adneyadeodhar
6 - Meteoroid

In Alteryx is there any way to skip the files which are open in a directory. I am trying to read many files (same schema) in a shared directory using a dynamic input tool as many people have access to the directory if a file is open flow is getting terminated and it is not reading the remaining files.

2 REPLIES 2
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @adneyadeodhar 

When an Excel file is opened, a temporary file with the same file name and "~$" added to the beginning is created in the same directory. So what we could do it to 

1. Use filter tool to find all the file with name starting with "~$" (e.g. "~$sample.xlsx")

2. Use Formula to remove "~$" from the file name (e.g. "sample.xlsx")

3. Use Append tool to combine the list from 1 and 2 (i.e. "~$sample.xlsx" and "sample.xlsx")

4. Use Join tool to exclude all the files on the list from 3 (i.e. "~$sample.xlsx" and "sample.xlsx")

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps.

Jasper

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

you might want to create a copy me.bat file. Coey them to another directory and everything is readable.  

just a thought. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels