Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to show parentheses in a negative number

Edu
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

What is the best practice to add the parentheses in a negative number to be "-40,000" to be "(40,000)"?

I'm new to this tool and appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance

10 REPLIES 10
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would do it with a formula like this

negative number.png

Edu
7 - Meteor

Hi DavidP

sushantsane
5 - Atom

@DavidP

How do we do this when we have the number in 'double' format? Its giving me an error saying - Error: Formula (18): The formula "" resulted in a string but the field is numeric. Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct. (Expression #1)

Using ToNumber doesnt help as it converts the string to 0.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sushantsane 

Numeric formats such as Double does not support brackets or 1000 separators. You therefore have to change the data type to a string first.

sushantsane
5 - Atom

That does not work. Since the if statement expects a number to use, throwing up error that it needs the data in number format !

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sushantsane 

In my example above, the field [number] is a numeric datatype - double would work here - but the field [new number] is a Text data type, since you're adding non-numeric characters.

[new number] is the new field created in the formula tool.

I'm guessing that there might actually be 2 errors in the formula tool:

1. When I see double quotes "" it usually suggests that a new field is being created in a formula tool, but that a name for the new field was not entered

2. The results of the if statement is a Text value, but the datatype of the new field is specified as a numeric type such as Double.

If you can attach your workflow, I can take a look.

OliviaYoY
6 - Meteoroid

Hi DavidP, 

Thanks for sharing the formula. I am wondering how to convert the negatif number as indicated in the exemple to (40 000) without ",". 

Thanks for your insights ! 

Best 

Olivia 

OliviaYoY
6 - Meteoroid

[Solved] for anyone has the same issue as me, please refer to this solution. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Forum-Francais/separateur-de-milliers/td-p/408445#

Best

Olivia

Jimmylee4real
8 - Asteroid

thank you so much! I try to use the same formula but there is an error showing "resulted in a string but the field is numeric...Use ToNumber() if this is correct. May I know what shall I do to solve this data type error? 

Fyi, my current data type should be "double"

thanks!

Labels