Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to setup a secure connection with AWS MySQL (RDS)

_hans1
7 - Meteor

I would like to setup a secure connection with a MySQL database hosted in RDS from Amazon Web Services. 

AWS provides only one PEM file (see: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/CHAP_MySQL.html#MySQL.Concepts.SSLSupport) but the MySQL ODBC connecter in Alteryx provides 6 input options and the one PEM file provided by AWS does not work with it.

I did found on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5880503/mysql-connection-using-odbc-5-1-with-ssl) the followoing remark:

Only fill out the fields:

• 'SSL Key' (c:\path_to\client-key.pem)
  • 'SSL Certificate' (c:\path_to\client-cert.pem)
  • 'SSL Certificate Authority' (c:\path_to\ca-cert.pem)

Has anyone experience with this / done it? Any suggestions how to do it?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Hans

9 REPLIES 9
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Hans,

I have tested on our own environment and the following works in regards to connecting - remember the "Verify SSL certificate" checkbox. Please let me know if it works for you.

Skærmbillede 2016-02-09 kl. 17.51.30.png

Best regards,

Daniel

_hans1
7 - Meteor

Hi Daniel, thanks, this works indeed! (took me some time to find the time to test it ;-).

Cheers,

Hans 

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

Hi Daniel,

i tried your approach but it was not working. i have only RSA private key to connect to the server. please let me known what to do and also let me know how to get SSL certificate Authority file. but i can connect from MYSQL Work bench using Standard TCP/IP over SSH connection method. i did not see that type of method in Mysql ODBC connector. how to get that, please help

Capture1.PNG

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I am not sure the ODBC driver for MySQL support what you are trying to do - is this a RDS instance on AWS?

When you connect via SSH you basically connect to the server running the MySQL DB and then do a connection to localhost.

Best,

Daniel

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

i did not get what to you told, Can you please elaborate. i need to connect to AWS RDS MYSQL DB instance from Alteryx, let me know how to do that

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Okay - I do not understand why you wan't to create the connection over SSH. When you create a RDS instance of MySQL you get a username and password.

Best,

Daniel

pkkrish22
7 - Meteor

yes i have the db instance name and username and password for that DB instance. but how to connect to Alteryx with those ? we need to create a connection first rite between the AWS and Alteryx

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Please try with the configuration in this thread that is marked as a solution.

If that does not work please provide a screenshot of the configuration as well as the error message.

Daniel

mgonjari
5 - Atom

Where will I get MySQL ODBC connecter  in latest version.

I am trying to connect Mysql on AWS to alteryx.

Labels