Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to set the default relative path when inputting a file

riku_okawa
7 - Meteor

When inputting files into Alteryx, you can do so by dragging and dropping the files you want to input onto the screen. However, if you try to input the file in this way, the reference path will be an absolute path. I would like to use relative paths as default so that others can take over the workflow, how can I do this?

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @riku_okawa,

At the top menu of Alteryx. Go to options>advanced options>relative path

then you need to pick all relative.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@riku_okawa 

As far as I can tell, there is no way to specify that all files added to workflows should use relative paths.  

The option that @Emil_Kos  is referring to, Options->Advanced Options->Workflow Dependencies and then clicking the All Relative button, only converts the existing paths in the current workflow to relative.  It has no effect on other workflows or even new files dropped on to the current one.  They still get added with the absolute path

Dan

mxblsdl
5 - Atom

I am also interested in this feature. Is there a way to submit a feature request to Alteryx? Defaulting to relative paths would really make sharing workflows between team members easier.

anayet1988
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos  I do not think that is what @riku_okawa, is asking.

What is actually being asked is how to use relative paths by default - for example if you was to pull in an excel file into the canvas it would give you an input tool, but by default it will always give you a absolute path.

So is there a way where the default paths are relative (assuming that the workflow is already saved somewhere) - meaning you do not have to go to options advanced options etc - it would give you the relative path by default.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @anayet1988,

Propably you are right.

I am not sure if this is possible to put it on as default. 

There was a similar topic in the past but I don't think the proposed solution is what you are looking after:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-set-relaitve-paths-as-default/t...

Labels