Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to search for a special character in a excel file using alteryx

hegdepavithra10
9 - Comet

I am looking understand, if there is a way , once excel file is imported to alteryx i can check if lets say "#" is available within any of the cells thats imported. based on that check i am looking to create a column with appropriate comment such as "special character found"/"special character not found"

9 REPLIES 9
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hegdepavithra10 

Yes, this is definitely possible. Just so I understand correctly, would the new field be based on any of the fields for a record containing that character, or would all fields need to contain the character?

If this is the case, please check the sample workflow attached to see if this would work in your instance!

Kind Regards

Will

hegdepavithra10
9 - Comet

Lets say i have an excel file called abc.xlsx and Sheet 1 from it is what i have imported on to Alteryx. Lets say it data across 10 columns and 10 rows. I want to know whether "#" is there within this data.

PS: I do not want the range where the search is made to be static.

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @hegdepavithra10 --

Yes, you can do this. Either using a Formula tool or a multi-field Formula tool. Formula if you want to check one column and multi-field formula if you wish to check multiple columns.

Thanks,

Seth

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hegdepavithra10 

I would look to transpose all fields, then use a filter tool on [value] to find the special character and do a record count. If record count > 0 then you have found the special character.

DavidP_0-1606316530655.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hegdepavithra10 

It also matters what you want to after searching. If you want only search i think @DavidP possible approach where it will consider all columns and search for # and let you know the count.

If you want to find and replace you need to use Mutli-formula tool as @smoskowitz suggested.

hegdepavithra10
9 - Comet

Hi, would it possible for you to attach snippets of the workflow with the formula you have attached. I am out of free trial and I am not able to view the workflow. Thanks in advance

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hegdepavithra10 did you know that you can extend your trial once for a further 14 days by activating it again under Options -> Manage licenses? Or have you done this already?

hegdepavithra10
9 - Comet

Yes, I have done it already and used it for a month. But now I am not able to 

hegdepavithra10
9 - Comet

@DavidP @atcodedog05 @smoskowitz @wdavis  requesting to paste snapshot of the workflow

Labels