Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to save input the sheet name into a field in Excel

Ringo_Wu
5 - Atom

I have excel files with many sheets.  I would like to add a column in a sheet showing the current sheet name.  How to do it in bulk?

Example as attached, I want to add a column that shows the sheet name e.g. "01 country"

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @Ringo_Wu,

here is a solution to your problem:

grossal_0-1584097255367.png

The result looks like this:

grossal_1-1584097289406.png

I have attached the sample workflow.

If this solved you problem, please consider to accept it as a solution or drop another question if it doesn't.

Alex

Ringo_Wu
5 - Atom

Thanks, 

Numbercity 
1AAA01 Country
2VV01 Country
3CX01 Country
4AZ01 Country
Numbercity 
1AAA02 Country 
2BC02 Country 
3CX02 Country 
4DC02 Country 

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Ohh sorry. I had a typo in the example.

This is the new result.

grossal_0-1584099923427.png

As an Excel User myself, I'd find it pretty odd to have another "header row" in the middle of the data. Usually you want to use Filters or Pivot Tables across the whole data and not only on the first N rows.

Can you explain why you want the additional header row?

Workflow attached. I also fixed the blank space in the end of the second work sheet because this was causing some trouble too.

Alex

Ringo_Wu
5 - Atom

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much.  In fact, the sheet name in my file is an identifier of the data and I need to combine different sheets in one sheet with this identifier. 

I tried your workflow it worked.  However, when I use it to my actual file, it seems to work strangely.  The actual file has a different amount of data, say 4 in the first sheet and 6 in the second sheet.   Here is a screenshot of error when I changed the file in 02 country to 6 rows.  The result I am looking for is the 4 rows of data in 01 country is marked as 01 country following with the 02 county's 6 rows of data marked as 02 country.   

Ringo_Wu_0-1584169405650.png

Numbercity 
1AAA01 country
2VV01 country
3CX01 country
4AZ01 country
1AAA02 country
2BC02 country
3CX02 country
4DC02 country
5MS02 country
6TW02 country
7SZ02 country

Thanks and wish you have a lovely weekends.

Ringo

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Ringo_Wu,

I downloaded your new Excel file, renamed and it worked as intended. See below.

AlteryxGui_vBddMkNQJU.png

(I think there is a little typo in your text, because your table shows my table, but your text says '6 rows' for file 2)

I think I know what caused the error. I forgot to use the relative path in the Input Tool, and only used it in the Dynamic Input. I'll attach the changed workflow.

grossal_0-1584187100219.png

If you aren't familiar with relative paths: This path indicates that the input file is in the same folder as the workflow file.

grossal_1-1584187248210.png

Feel free to change the path in both tools as needed. 

Happy weekend!

Alex

Ringo_Wu
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot! It works now.

By the way, I found another reason for why the previous time it didn't work.  I miss the "$" sign in the setting to replace a specific string "sheet name$".

Now it worked all well, a million thanks!

Labels