Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to save diff output files to the same excel but in diff tabs

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

hi, 

i am new to Alteryx and building several workflows that i would like to export to the same excel file but just in separate tabs. When i try to save the second output file to the xlsx that i already used for the first one, it asks if i want to replace the excel, which i don't. 

How can i save the second output file as a separate tab in the original excel file?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @dattina2287, as you’re outputting to excel, unless you specify a sheet name then all of your outputs will default to ‘Sheet1’. Therefore, once your first workflow saves and creates the first file, the others will just try to rewrite this.

If you go to your Output Data tool, where you specify the filepath, delete everything after ‘.xlsx’ and replace it with |||<Sheet Name>, where <Sheet Name> is whatever you want it to be called. Or you can do this in the original set up, when you specify the output type and the location it'll be saved to, this should pop up and you can just change it from 'Sheet1':

DataNath_1-1655842178523.png

First method:

DataNath_2-1655842217869.png

DataNath_3-1655842227433.pngDataNath_4-1655842247532.png

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

this worked perfectly - thank you so much!

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath, since you were have been so helpful lately i wanted to see if you had an idea about this one. I want to do the same thing as above (Export different outputs to different tabs within the same workbook) but using the Render Tool since i need tables. I tried adding ||| and then the tab name similar to the above guidance but i'm getting the below error message. 

can you tell what i'm doing wrong?

Thank you!!

dattina2287_0-1655934185237.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Sure @dattina2287 - this one is a little more complex!

1) In your table tool, select whatever you'd like to group on:

DataNath_0-1655935445529.png

2) Add a 'Layout' tool and use the following configuration:

Layout config.png

3) Add your Render tool, configure it as normal with the file selection and then select Layout as your data field:

DataNath_1-1655935605517.png

Voila! Output:

DataNath_2-1655935629549.pngDataNath_3-1655935640587.png

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath thanks for your response! i don't think i explained the issue correctly. I want to export 1 table on one tab and another table on another tab within the same excel file. Since i'm using the Render Tool,  the excel for just the first table exported correctly but there's no tab name. In the render tool, the window to select or rename a sheet did not appear. 

When i go to try to do the same for the 2nd table that i want to export to the 2nd tab and just rename it with ||| "tab name 2" - i get an error in the Render Tool that tells me the file is not supported. 

i saw somewhere that I may need to use the output tool and then dis-configure it but it still leaves me with the same issue of not being able to add the ||| "tab name" in the Render Tool.

Thank you!

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @dattina2287 no problem! If you check out my response above, you'll notice that there is a 'Layout' tool in between the Table and Render. Make sure you follow the configuration of the 3 tools in the steps I outlined. This should give you a different table per sheet, with the name, based on what field you split on.

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

hi @DataNath, i think the issue is that i was using 2 different data sets so i needed to create new headers for each using the formula tool and then insert the layout tool between both tables and the Join tool. 

i had to create a new column which i called "JointOutput" to group by in both tables and then do a formula to rename each according to the Sheet Name i wanted.

Then followed your guidance in the Layout tool. 

Thanks so much!!! Would not have gotten this far without your example!

dattina2287_0-1656098869712.png

Labels