Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to run only 'part' of a workflow

mattlukoff
8 - Asteroid

Hello, can anyone direct me how I can just run "part of a workflow" and not all inputs and transforms.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @mattlukoff! To my knowledge, it is not possible to run part of a workflow. However, you can put the various parts of your workflow into a Tool Container and then disable the tool container. Any tools contained in a disabled tool container will not be processed.

roadhouse
7 - Meteor

There isn't really a good way to do this yet. The best way would be to move the pieces you don't want to run to a seperate workflow. Another way is to simply disconnect the components you aren't using. this will throw an error, but the rest of the flow will still run. handy if you're just troubleshooting.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Questions like this typically are from the desire to not have to run through the early parts of a workflow each time.

While using the containers to eliminate the need for the later (or parallel) parts of a workflow can work, for avoiding the rerun of the early parts, I'd check out the Cache macro that is available on the Alteryx Gallery.

The article from the auther of the macro is here.

cassio-bolba
5 - Atom

Thanks for the help. Disable container seems a nice way.

coworker
5 - Atom

You can copy/paste the code to another tab, then cache from there

Shaydoud
6 - Meteoroid

Shaydoud_0-1652107691570.png

jaclyn
6 - Meteoroid

I ran my whole flow and everything worked as expected. Then, I tried disabling the first tool container in my flow, which connects to the database, pressed run, and the flow "ran" exponentially quickly and produced no output that I can see.

How do I get my flow to run without having to query the database every single time?

jaclynWNCO_0-1660307539215.png

FilipR
11 - Bolide

@jaclyn Try this:

FilipR_0-1660309699604.png

jaclyn
6 - Meteoroid

That worked! Thank you!

For others: I clicked that menu item, the input was cached, then I clicked the normal run button and everything in my flow except what I cached ran quickly!

Labels