Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to run SQL statement other than select statements in dynamic input tool

yoga_mac
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have a requirement to download the metadata and prepare insert statement with columns in the same order available in the table. 

I tried this using dynamic input tool.

Have passed the describe statement.

But it throws the error saying that i don't have privilege to execute "select describe ...".

Can you please confirm whether this dynamic input tool is only for executing select statement.

If this is the case, how i can execute below describe statement (Impala) and capture the result in Alteryx.

"describe db.tablename;"

Thanks. Yoga

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @yoga_mac 

The statements called by Input and Dynamic Input have to return a single cursor as the result of a Select.  In a traditional DB you would use select from user_tables and All_Tab_Columns (Oracle) or sys_tables and sys_columns (SQL Server).    The Impala Describe function must be getting it's information form somewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find the corresponding tables.  If you can find the corresponding Impala tables, you should be able to select the information from them.  

Alternatively, the Show and Describe functions seem to be functions implemented by the Impala shell.  You might be able to set up a batch file that launches the shell, and pipes the results of the Describe function to a file.  You can then load and parse the file. 

Dan

Labels