Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to replace field based on string length?

rbrown088
5 - Atom

In my current workflow I have used text to columns to separate data that has been converted from a PDF format. However, due to spacing issues, text to columns does not yield the same date needed in a consistent singular column but the dates do land in 3 consecutive columns. Each date is 8 characters long (xx/xx/xx). 

I want to consolidate the dates into one column.

See example below, some dates do fall into [txt6] also, but all relevant dates are contained in either of the 3 columns.

Is it possible to write an IF function that replaces fields that do not have 8 characters with a value that could then be sorted? With the eventual goal of consolidating the 3 columns into one column with the desired dates?

rbrown088_1-1576979117699.png

2 REPLIES 2
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rbrown088 ,

You could use a formula tool with a length function to count the number of characters, something like this:

If length(txt5)= 8 then txt5

Elseif length(txt6)=8 then txt6

Else txt7

Endif

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

rbrown088
5 - Atom

Thank you! 

After running this formula, I realized my data had dates extending to txt15. In addition, txt5 would sometimes have a string that was 8 characters long but was not a date. See solution below.

if length(txt6)=8 then txt6

elseif length(txt7)=8 then txt7

elseif length(txt8)=8 then txt8

elseif length(txt9)=8 then txt9

elseif length(txt10)=8 then txt10

elseif length(txt11)=8 then txt11

elseif length(txt12)=8 then txt12

elseif length(txt13)=8 then txt13

elseif length(txt14)=8 then txt14

else txt5
endif

Labels