Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to remove specific data (words, numbers,etc. - not the same each time) from a column

arieta
8 - Asteroid

Hello All, 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

I have a column that has data that needs to be removed from certain cells, however the problem is that these data are not the same in each row. Please see below an example:

Column as is NowColumn I need it to be
xxx, uyq: 9 and yyy:49
zzz: 5 and ddd: 15
1 / 10,0001
15 REPLIES 15
arieta
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

Thank you once again for your help!

I know it's a bit confusing! Unfortunately, still this doesn't work as there is a case that the text contains '/'. 

For example:

Column as is nowWhat I get following your solution (filter tool - true)Column as I need it to be
apple/pineapple: 5 and banana: 3apple5

Can we correct this? 

zajaccount
9 - Comet

Hi,

I adjusted it once again - I added an additional filter to check whether the character AFTER the / is a number - if not, I assumed that the field is not a fraction.

zajaccount_0-1588174980380.png

I believe this may cause some troubles if the field contained some really strange input such as bananas/100 - please check whether it works for you know.

arieta
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

Thank you very much for your valuable support! 

I tried it and it worked!!! The only problem now is the fact that in my column I have some empty cells that I need them either empty or as [Null] in the output, however, they have now been disappeared. 

Would it be possible to fix this issue? 

zajaccount
9 - Comet

That's quite a messy dataset! I added a filter in the beginning to check for empty/null cells in the column - the workflow runs for the "False" leg, while the "True" leg is unionend with the summary at the end - it adds however many blank rows there were in the input file.

If this works, please accept it as the solution.

arieta
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for your help! It worked!

zajaccount
9 - Comet

Glad I could help 😉

Labels