Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to remove certain words from a column of text data?

rahulchauhan
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have text data (customer responses) from which I need to remove any stop word contained in my list (I have a list of about 500 stop words).

For e.g. -

Text: He loves to eat out every Sunday

Stop Words: He, to, out, every

Required Result: loves eat Sunday

Essentially I have one customer response in every row of data and I need the every word from the entire list of Stop Words should be removed from every single row of data.

Stop WordsStop WordsCustomer ResponseCustomer Response

3 REPLIES 3
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Take a look at the Find Replace tool.  You can tell it to match only on whole words, and can even set it to be case insensitive if you want to filter out both "he" and "He".  For your case I would recommend using the "Match Whole Word Only" option, as well as "Replace Multiple Found Items".  The only thing you will need is a second text column in your Stop_Words input that has nothing in it, so that the Find Replace tool can be instructed to replace what it finds with nothing.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

+1 to @Claje's suggestion.

Find and Replace will definitely work. Check out this question I answered for a user with a similar user case.

Find exact matches from multiple fields using batch macro

I hope it helps!

rahulchauhan
7 - Meteor

Find and Replace worked for me. Thanks!

Labels