Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to remove certain characters from end of string IF

Joshua_Bova
7 - Meteor

How do I remove certain characters from a string if and only if they are that character? For example:

I have a column with NAICs 3 Digit Titles that have a "T" inserted at the end of some cells but not all. How do I remove the "T" from ONLY the end of the string IF and ONLY if it is a "T"? To clarify, If there is not a "T" at the end of the string I want the string to remain the same. Also, I do not want to replace every "T" just the ones at the end of the string. 

NAICs 3 Digit Title
Professional, Scientific, and Technical ServicesT
Social AssistanceT
Sporting Goods, Hobby, Musical Instrument, and Book Stores
Real EstateT
Food Services and Drinking PlacesT
Specialty Trade ContractorsT
Merchant Wholesalers, Nondurable Goods
Furniture and Home Furnishings Stores
Real EstateT

4 REPLIES 4
darryl5280
10 - Fireball

If Right([Field1],1) = "T" then
Substring([Field1],0,Length([Field1])-1)
else
[Field1]
Endif

Joshua_Bova
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply. Both of the following expressions worked except for all entries with "Professional, Scientific, and Technical ServicesT ", for cells with this string it left the T at the end::

If Right([NAICs 3 Digit Title],1) = "T" then
Substring([NAICs 3 Digit Title],0,Length([NAICs 3 Digit Title])-1)
else
[NAICs 3 Digit Title]
Endif

TrimRight([NAICs 3 Digit Title],'T')

I am not sure why it removed the "T" from all the other values except for this particular entry. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Here is how the Formula tool should be setup with "NAICs 3 Digit Title" being the field you modify.  And you see with the Data Preview your value "Professional, Scientific, and Technical ServicesT" is changed to "Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services"

Formula.jpg

Here is how Formula tool should be placed in your workflow.

Workflow.jpg

martinah
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you! It works well!

Labels