Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to read in multiple csv files on Sharepoint Online from Alteryx

Georgia_H
7 - Meteor

Hi, I want to read all the .csv files that are currently residing in Sharepoint online via Alteryx.

My objective is to be able to read those files and load into SQL Server db.

Any easy and simple way to achieve this?

Appreciate it.

7 REPLIES 7
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If you sync share point folder with your computer, then you can read files as if they exist at local computer. You just have to use Input Data tool, and specify their file location as usual.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-sharepoint-files-and-folders-87a96948-4dd7-43e4-aca1...

If you are talking about how to read csv files in sharepoint from Alteryx Server, it might be tough task. You need to ask your company's IT persons.

Georgia_H
7 - Meteor

I'm using Alteryx Desktop on VDI machine.

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I regret to say I'm not familiar with VDI. As I said, if sync is possible in VDI, it should be easiest way. If it does not work well, sorry I cannot advise more on this topic.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Georgia_H 

The technique shared by @gawa above should work on a VDI as well with the caveat that VDIs can be created as needed and their configuration is not necessarily persistent.  That means that you'll have to check for the mapping every time you log on to the VDI and apply the technique if the mapping isn't there.

Dan  

Georgia_H
7 - Meteor

Hi @danilang @gawa 

I'm able to map and sync folder from Sharepoint and when i used the Input Data tool to read the file, only 1 file can be read at 1 time. What I want to achieve is to read in multiple csv files from a folder. So, this solution does not meet my requirement. Please advise.

Thank you.

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

You can use wild card * when you specify file path like;

C:¥user¥hoge¥*.csv 

You can read in all file with extension .csv by doing this. Please check it out.

Note that if file scheme is not the same, it does not work well. In that case Batch macro should be configured.

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

I would recommend giving a try to our Sharepoint Files connector, which allows for working with multiple sheets and files at once (assuming they have identical structure). Designer 21.3.3 is required. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
Labels