Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to read data from database with high speed

MajidAli
5 - Atom

Hello Community, 

I am trying to load the data from oracle into designer using the ODBC driver but it is too slow. I have millions of data. Is there any alternative to ODBC driver ? 

2 REPLIES 2
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

This is usually a tricky conversation 😉 but WHY are you pulling data into Designer, or rather why are you NOT using in-DB tools instead ?

The WHY answer is usually because you're moving the data somewhere else, because if the input and output are the same Oracle instance then don't use the normal tools.

The why NOT use in-DB is (sometimes) the key to speeding up workflows.  You don't mention how many records, but do you need ALL the records, ALL the fields, or a subset that you can summarise (in-DB) before bringing into the normal tools ?

There could be a lot more reasons that I'm missing here, but "keep the data in the database" as much as possible, and only pull out what you need when you need it at the level that you need it (ie not a million records when you only need a monthly summary).

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Or the short answer to your question .... I usually use the OCI driver for Oracle, I haven't done any tests but I think it's faster than OBDC and JDBC would be slower still.

Labels