Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to put multiple sheets into a single excel file after render?

diabolic
7 - Meteor

exampleWorkflow.jpg

Hi all, my purpose is to output multiple sheets into a single excel file with complex layout. As shown above, there are lost of tables, text boxes and other elements in each sheet; thus, "group" option is not valid in both Layout tool and Render tool. If the Render tool can work like Output tool to specify sheet name for storing data, this problem would be solved. I have stuck here for a long time. Is there any suggestion to kick this issue out?

9 REPLIES 9
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @diabolic

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this yesterday!

Ok here's a possible solution for you...

• After your layout tools add a formula that defines the sheet name
  • Union all of your streams together
  • Add another layout tool using section breaks
  • render output

Rendersheets.png

diabolic
7 - Meteor

Hi LordNeiLord, I will try your solution tomorrow. Thanks for your kind help.

diabolic
7 - Meteor

Hi LordNeilord, I have tired your solution on my workflow. It works!!!!!! Your sample solution is really helpful! However I get a small issue (not important at all), when I use Layout -> Vertical with Section Breaks.

In your example, the sheet names is the same as the value of "Type". In my workflow, I also add a "Type" field in my each sub-workflow for section break and the value of my "Type" is simple strings like "ASP" and "AVP", but the sheet names are still "sheet1", "sheet2" and etc. in the output file. How can I force Alteryx to use the value of "Type" as sheet names?

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@LordNeilLord

I've run your solution and the sheetnames are labelled with the values in the Type field but I have no idea how that happened.   I cannot replicate with my own workflow although I have copied all the same tools as in yours (table, layout, formula, union, layout, render).

Can you explain what you did to output the fieldnames to the values in the Type field?

Thanks!

AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Dynamomo @diabolic

I've just worked on a similar workflow myself and found that there is a setting in the layout tool which must be invoked:

section_name_layout.png

Did you choose a field for section name (i.e. your sheet name)?

Ramirenter
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

@diabolic and @LordNeilLord

Diabolic thanks for posting your question, since I had the same exact one for my use case testing for Alteryx. LordNeilLord thanks for answering and also providing your sample workflow.

I was able to re-create the workflow to match my criteria, but I still have some problems with truncated data. For some reason even if I make the Render tool "Report Style" as Landscape orientation my data is truncated to almost unreadable extent. 

render tool_Alteryx.PNG

Any ideas how to get the data to not be truncated and to be in the original length?

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@Ramirenter - you need to change the paper size to be wider.  You can pick one of the sizes or set a custom size.  

Ramirenter
6 - Meteoroid

@Dynamomo - Thanks for the suggestion. Works perfectly!

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I have to say, "thank you!!"  Your solution was so clear and concise and it solved an issue that has been vexing me for a week.  I finally can get back on track with this build.  Thanks!

Labels