Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to perform summation on Trial Balance P&L Accounts to calculate net income

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Hello, I need to verify the (income) loss by Entity by performing summation for any account that is greater than 399999 (basically any accounts that start with *4 to *8, the revenue and expense accounts). I have attached a sample stack Trial Balance. You can ignore accounts from *1 to *3.

I hope you can help me to build a workflow for this. 

8 REPLIES 8
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Taxguy03 ,

you can do that by selecting the accounts you need (Filter tool with a condition selecting only accounts starting with '4' or '8') and use a Summarize tool (group by entity).

Attached a sample workflow. Let me know, if it works for you.

Best,

Roland 

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Thank you, Roland. I think I'm missing the *5, *6, and *7 series accounts. Basically, I need to  perform a summation on accounts that falls between *4 to *8.

Is there a way to write the formula so it captures all the account that sums that accounts from  400000 to 899999 ? Sorry for the follow-up. 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

No problem, I've modified the condition a bit to reflect this.

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Thank you, Roland. As  always, you're the best. Thank you for helping the community. 

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Hi Roland, sorry to bother you again. I just noticed that within my range of accounts (400000-899999), I also have these two alpha account: 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev' unlike the other accounts that are numeric value. 

How do I add accts 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev' ?

I attempted the formula below but it seems to not work.

Left([Account], 1) IN ('4', '5', '6', '7', '8', 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev')

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Hi Roland, sorry to bother you again. I just noticed that within my range of accounts (400000-899999), I also have these two alpha accounts: 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev' unlike the other accounts that are numeric value. 

How do I add accts 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev' ?

I attempted the formula below but it seems to not work.

Left([Account], 1) IN ('4', '5', '6', '7', '8', 'ICPCOS', 'ICPRev')

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Taxguy03 ,

the condition Left([Account], 1) IN ('4', '5', '6', '7', '8') takes the first character of the field [Account] and checks, if it's within the list 4,5,6,7,8.
To check additional accounts, you have to add a second condition - as you have two specific accounts to check, you can use:

[Account] IN ('ICPCOS', 'ICPRev')

A row is selected, if one of these conditions is true, so you have to connect them using "OR":

Left([Account], 1) IN ('4', '5', '6', '7', '8')
OR
[Account] IN ('ICPCOS', 'ICPRev') 

I've changed this in the attached workflow. 

Best,

Roland

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Thank you so much. You're the best. Saved me a lot of time. 

Labels