Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to pass "Subject" field through Visual Layout Tool

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I have limited experience with the reporting tools but have been using Visual Layout a lot. Up to this point, I've had static subjects in my email fields. For this use case, I need a subject that updates dynamically.

How do you pass a field like "subject" through the Visual Layout tool so that you can use it in the Email tool?

In this example, I'm trying to pass Subject: [Fruit]+" Report "+DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),"%x") through the visual layout tool so that I can use it for the email subject.

Capture.PNG

See attached workflow.

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Happy <3 Day @ddiesel!

Tried calling and got your v-mail.  I made a slight change to the workflow.  I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a try!

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's my understanding that it isn't possible to pass a field through the Visual Layout tool or employ a "Group By" functionality that would provide a similar function in this case.

I ran into a similar issue when I was using the R tool to build batches of graphs (the AlteryxgGraph function in R also only outputs the layout field). My solution was to use the "Join by Record Position" option in the Join tool. If you only have one output from the Visual Layout tool, then there's no mis-matching potential. If you have multiple records coming from your reporting tools, you'll have to match the record sorting methodology on both sides before the join.

I think a better way to do this would be to utilize the original Layout tool that has the "Group By" function built in. If you group by a field in the Layout tool, it will pass that field to the output. Here's a link to the Tool Mastery post on the Layout tool:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Layout/ta-p/83540

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@CharlieS thanks for the quick reply!

That answers my question. It is not possible through the Visual Layout tool. We will use a Union and "grouping by" function. I know that will work because I have another workflow that uses that method.

I wonder if Alteryx will build in that functionality to the Visual Layout tool? I'm going to check the Ideas section.

Thanks again!

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Whoops, didn't see the response from @MarqueeCrew first.

Two solutions here! This works too!

Sorry, I couldn't answer my phone. All day conference calls.... Talk soon!

Thank you!

Labels