Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to pass a variable to a detour from a filter

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I've been trying to get the detour tool to run based on a filter within a macro.  Using this example, Solved: Re: Change Detour from left to right - Alteryx Community, I believe that example passes the input for control parameter from the workflow.  My issue is I don't want to pass it from an input, rather filter/formula.  In the attachments:

• 01_workflow
    • Using DIR tool to capture a list of files
    • Keeping only full path field
    • Call macro
  • 02_macro
    • InputFile reads full path
    • Action updates file to import
    • Import tool reads file
    • Basic filter Contains([Field_1],"attachment;"
    • Filter tool - if true run the upper path, false run the lower path

How can I pass a variable in a macro to the detour tool?

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @joesparty - I think article may help you to understand how the tool works: https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/gregg-rimmer/using-detour-tool-alteryx 

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ArtApa ,

Thanks for the link, I did find this post and I believe this is based off a user selecting a radio button to determine the detour path correct?  My question is how do I determine the detour path dynamically based of a formula/filter?  I'm still young in my Alteryx journey, so I many not be using the correct terminology.

Cheers 

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @joesparty - To change a flow direction in the Detour tool you need to change its setting, i.e. its XML. This is possible via Interface in an App or in a Macro. I think:

a) Something that you want to achieve is possible without a Detour.

b) You may want to re-read the article and have a look at a solution with a Macro. For example: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/New-output-file-every-month/m-p/944470...  

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @ArtApa , your example gives me something to practice with.

Labels