Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to parse date from row of multiple dates included (start date - stop date)

darenson
7 - Meteor

I am trying to separate the start and stop date from a row of data that both included.

Here is what it looks like:

PayPeriod
07/21/2019 - 08/03/2019  (Biweekly)

and this is what I am looking for:

Start DateStop Date
07/21/201908/03/2019

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @darenson 

Can RegEx the date pattern pretty easily for splitting that:

clipboard_image_0.png

Could also use a text-to-columns on the "-", but would want to trim what's within the parentheses as an extra step.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @darenson 

I’d go with a Text to Columns tool, using the hyphen and a space as the delimiters. I think if you parse into 2 columns, and choose the option to drop what doesn’t fit, you’ll just get the dates, but I’m not on my computer to check. You could just as easily parse into 3 columns and add a Select tool to remove what you don’t need 

don’t forget to convert the dates into a date format if you need Alteryx to treat them as dates. 

Let me me know if that helps. 

Cheers!

Esther

darenson
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

Also, just in case I wanted to do so, how would I change the date to look like yyyy-mm-dd as instead of mm/dd/yyyy?

Labels