Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to output the macro error message into my workflow datastream?

AkisM
10 - Fireball

My use case is this:

I need to read multiple files of the same format. I achieve this using a macro. So far so good. Sometimes, a few of those files do not follow the expected template format. My macro still produces results (as expected) for the correctly formatted files, and throws the usual "Error at Record #X: File not in expected template" etc for any files that are incorrectly formatted.

My question is, is it possible to pass the info of those files to a 2nd macro output so that I can use that info in my workflow and have for example a list of "Incorrectly formatted files" for manual investigation?

5 REPLIES 5
dinakar_inakota
5 - Atom

Yes we can I will be sharing the detailed solution by eod.

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Thanks @dinakar_inakota , looking forward to it!

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@dinakar_inakota Have you figured out how to do this?

For my use case I tried a simpler approach for now: Since I know all the filepaths that are being fed into the macro, and I know which files the macro read successfully, I can use a join tool afterwards in my workflow to identify the missed files.

However it would be nice if there was a way to somehow get the exact error msges from the macro into the workflow as data.

angelnjj
5 - Atom

Hello @akism were you able to pass the macro error message? I have a similar use case, not finding solutions/suggestions

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@angelnjj Unfortunately no. But because for my use case all I really needed was to check which files my macro wasn't reading, the solution was easy and didn't need the entire error message. I had the list of files being fed into the macro, and the macro also returned the files that were read successfully (but not the few that returned errors). So a join of population A minus population B let me identify which were the files with errors.

Labels