Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to output every combination of outcomes based on Tile

Chris_Soldi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I have an issue where I need to identify every possible combination of 'group' choices to achieve 'individual' outcomes.

As a bit of context, each user requires access to several menus (represented by the tiles below) but access is given on a role basis (which provides access to many menus) which is represented by the Tile Seq.

I need to identify what combination of roles (i.e. Tile Seqs) can be used to provide the user with the menus (tiles) that are needed. 

A hypothetical example is below (what combinations of tile seqs are available to achieve all tile numbers):

Tile Number

Tile Seq 1

Tile Seq 2

Tile Seq 3

A

A

D

B

G

H

Possible combinations:

AAB

AAG

AAH

ADB

ADG

ADH

Does anybody know how to achieve this outcome (i.e. all the possible combinations) using Alteryx? 

I note that the amount of tiles and tile sequences for each tile will differ each time the workflow is run. Just to add some complexity!

6 REPLIES 6
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Chris_Soldi 

there is an almost identical problem in the weekly challenge on the horse race “Pony Permutations”

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-270-Pony-Permutations/td-p/766962
You can adapt from that to find combinations 

cheers

dawn 

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @Chris_Soldi,

An iterative macro will do this pretty easily.  The workflow and macro may take a little adjusting with your actual data, but it should be similar to this.

Macro.pngWorkflow.png

Chris_Soldi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Dawn,

I see my problem being a bit more complex as:

- The horse problem is similar to how many unique combinations of tiles can be created, rather than how many unique combinations of tile+tile sequences there are.

- The horse problem has a defined number of tiles, where this problem has an undefined number of tiles and tile sequences each time the workflow is run. For example, the initial user i am examining needs 23 menus (i.e. tiles) and each tile can be achieved by between 2-52 roles (i.e. tile sequence numbers) depending on which tile it is.

There will be many thousands of combinations.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Chris_Soldi 

That’s why i mean “adapt”. You can see how it is done and modify to expand. There should be 2N-1 combinations if you have N tiles... so iterative macro will do the trick for you.

@T_Willins  Has generously given a sample workflow too, where you can take an idea and modify to suit your needs.

give it a try

dawn

Chris_Soldi
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your time, looks like i need to do some learning on iterative macros!

Chris_Soldi
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for this and for pointing me in the right direction.

Time to go and learn some iterative macros!

Labels