Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to output data from alteryx into different ranges on the same excel sheet

qasdxx
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow in which I segregate data into different columns and I need to output it onto select sections of my excel file. 

I need to input the first 3 columns of data onto columns A11:C500. Then I need to input the next 4 columns of data into columns E11:H500.

I have broken out the columns using a dynamic select tool and each has an output tool directed to the above ranges on my excel file. I am getting an error "Attempt to open a file that is already open. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file." 

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
pdave87
11 - Bolide

@qasdxx is it possible to share your copy (with dummy details) ? I will take a quick look. Thanks.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you need to use a block until done (or multiple block until dones)... and remember that the syntax for your file will be excelfilename.xlsx|||sheetname$a1:g500 (or whatever)

the number of rows must include the header row if you are including fieldnames. you should have your sheet on overwrite sheet if you are writing to formatted range.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Adding to the other great replies, what is your Alteryx version ?  This problem used to happen all the time but it's been fixed - maybe not when you're nominating destination ranges.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @qasdxx ,

The issue you're having here is that the operation is trying to write the records out simultaneously, and given Excel is possibly the worst reporting platform you can get, the file is open once it begins writing the first output, so the second output can't write out as the file is in use. You need to wrap the output into a batch macro, and write each fullpath out as the control parameter, overwriting the output path in the output tool.

This will allow Alteryx to write out in batches ensuring the previous write is complete before beginning the next.

M.

Bulien

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@mceleaveyexcel is significantly better as a reporting platform than it is a database at least...

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@apathetichell Agreed, and double cheeseburger is a better health food than it is a traction engine.

Bulien

Labels