Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to move column heading row down in excel output

Russell_Jones
6 - Meteoroid

Hello;  I need to add heading lines to my excel output.  I am able to union together the two files however, my column headings appear in row one, then the 3 heading lines, and then my data.  Any thoughts on the easiest method to move my column headings to the row after the heading lines?  Seems very simple but sometimes simple things can be complicated.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.  Best regards Baryon

11 REPLIES 11
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you post example files/an example of the output you're trying to achieve? 

I assume you can just use multiple inputs and unions by record position or the reporting tools to achieve this. See the below link for an example using reporting tools:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/how-to-create-headers-in-Excel-report/...

Russell_Jones
6 - Meteoroid
Yeah, of course.

This is how the output appears;

Total Risk

My Company name Internal Audit

Predictive Risk Analysis - September, 2019

Demand Planning Controls

My Company France S.A.S.

And below is what I am trying to accomplish.

My Company name Internal Audit

Predictive Risk Analysis - September, 2019

Demand Planning Controls

Total Risk

My Company France S.A.S.

Seems like it should be really easy.
Just trying to move the column headings (row 1) down 4 rows.
I'm writing to an excel file.
Hope this helps and thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Russell Jones

Business Office USA 216-383-4842
Business Cell USA 216-213-2042

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you, The Lincoln Electric Company
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can isolate each section using select tools and then union them back together. For the union, you can specify the order so the headers are moved down. See attached for an example. Let me know if that works!

echuong1_0-1578344851266.png

Russell_Jones
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you your solution was brilliant.  However the problem I am having is in alteryx my output looks like this

Record #        Location        Total Risk

1                     Internal Audit

2                     Risk Analysis

3                     Demand Planning

4-60                DATA

When I download to excel i get

Location        Total Risk

Internal Audit

Risk Analysis

Demand Planning

DATA

In other words the column headings in alteryx are showing as the first row in my excel file, then the 3 lines of report heading and then the data or report body.

I cannot manipulate (move) the column headings row down in alteryx as they do not show up as a record ID.

Hope this is helpful.

Signed Atom

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

When you import the data using an input data tool, check the box that says "First Row Contains Data." Alteryx will create a placeholder field name and will read in all records as data. You can then manipulate and move the data as shown above. 

echuong1_0-1578431146640.png

Russell_Jones
6 - Meteoroid

Okay, I got the order right but I'm still getting the column headings appearing as the first line of the excel output.  Is there a way to output  to excel w/o picking up the column headings?  It seems like alteryx at times does not play nice with excel.  Perhaps another file format is the answer.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to post a sample of the data you're working with? This would help in coming up with a solution that works. 

I'm thinking you may need to use the reporting tools to add a "header" within excel. See the below thread for an example:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/how-to-create-headers-in-Excel-report/...

Russell_Jones
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I used your suggestion of using a reporting tool and it seems to work, thank you.

However I have another question or challenge.

When I send my output to the render tool, I have to output to separate excel files.

I need one excel file with multiple tabs.

Is there a wat to accomplish with the render tool?

Kind regards.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Russell_Jones you can do this if you use a layout tool before your render tool

OllieClarke_1-1578589706428.png

I've got 2 similar tables which I want to output to their own sheets. The name of the sheet is given by the [Tab] field, and the tables were grouped by this field in the table tool.

OllieClarke_0-1578589677637.png
The trick is to put a layout tool set up like this: (layout each group of records (with your group ticked), Vertical with Section Break orientation, and your grouping field selected in the bottom drop-down)

OllieClarke_2-1578589833957.png

This will create a sheet for each record that you've grouped by

OllieClarke_3-1578589954511.png

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Labels