Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to map 1 source to multiple target tables with different column names

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hello 

I am trying to map one  table to one or more target tables, but i have to map few columns from source to few columns to the targets.

column names are different between source and targets. 

Output data tool got this "Append field map" property when i tired to perform custom mapping, this option seems to be disabled, Could any please help how to do this basic function ? 

Thanks

Chandra

8 REPLIES 8
ThizViz
11 - Bolide
It sounds like what you need is the Join tool. You can join fields with different names using the tool.
@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
ThizViz
11 - Bolide
Let me know if you need any help with configuration.
Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Thizviz,

Thanks for the reply but why do i need a join tool ? if you look at my attached usecase picture.  i have only one source what should i join it with ?.

My question is,  cant we input 2 columns only into a target table of 10 columns ?

Thanks

Chandra

Philip
12 - Quasar

@Inactive User Are you appending data to an existing spreadsheet, or creating a new spreadsheet?

Philip
12 - Quasar

Sorry, just noticed it's a database connection. It may be something specific to that database connector, but from help, it should work. What type of database are you connecting to? Can you try an OleDB connection?

Append Field Map

If you have chosen to Append, you can set how fields from Alteryx will map to the fields already existing in the OleDB table.

MDB, XLS, ODBC, OleDB, ACCDB

Until you can figure it out, you could use a Select Tool to choose and rename fields to upload to each table.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Philip,

Actual source and target database is going to be Hadoop HDinsight. I am using Alteryx Simba hive drivers for both source and target tables.

But i did tried this approach using MS access (accdb) database where source and targets in the same access database. l am uploading again the following

1. use case representation diagram.

2. Alteryx package.

3. Alteryx screenshot showing the custom append is "not enabled".

when i tried running the Alteryx workflow with access  database i am getting "Error: Output Data (2): Error SQLBindParameter: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Invalid SQL data type",  which doesn't make any sense. Where should we indicate that source table column "A1" should go into Target table column "col1" (without renaming involved) ?

What i am trying to do is a very basic process in ETL tools like informatica. Not sure what Alteryx is doing 

Thanks

Chandra

ThizViz
11 - Bolide
Apologies, I was on my phone so I couldn't open the attachment. Looks like you got what you needed though.
Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Philip,

The only ways seems to be renaming the columns with select tool as you suggested. But it is still a mystery to me why the "Custom mapping" is not enabled.

What actions make this property available.

Thank you for the help Philip and Thizviz..!

Regards

Chandra

Labels