Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to make two Replace function in one expression

adrian_esteban
5 - Atom
I'm trying to replace two different target in one expression. I'm using Action tool >> Update Raw XML with Formula.
4 REPLIES 4
MacRo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Adrian, you can do this by wrapping one Replace() function around another, like this:

Replace(Replace([string_field],"Target1","Replacement1"),"Target2","Replacement2")
MatthieuArzel
7 - Meteor

This is not very eleguant.

I'm new to this game, but isn't there a function (in PHP there's the function strtr) allowing an array where a key will be replace by a corresponding value ?

This solution work for 2 or 3 nested replace. I have 12 replace to do in order to solve a baldy formated month problem.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MacRo's advice is the way that I typically perform these nested replacements.  However, you can use a FIND REPLACE tool and cause:  Mark Frisch to become Marquee Crew if the FIND REPLACE tool reads a source that converts Mark to Marquee and Frisch to Crew.

Please take a look at the attached example workflow.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MatthieuArzel
7 - Meteor

The replacement tool is really handy when you need to search and replace in your fields values. I love to do this.

The thing is i'm using a dyanmic rename action in order to clean my columns name (before using a big transposition action).

Dynamic rename doesn't allow me to input the search and replace action flow. 

I was looking for a solution using only formula fonctions inside dyanmic rename.

DateTimeParse(
REGEX_Replace(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
REPLACE(
[_CURRENTFIELD_]
, "janv", "01")
, "fév", "02")
, "mars", "03")
, "avr", "04")
, "mai", "05")
, "juin", "06")
, "juil", "07")
, "août", "08")
, "sept", "09")
, "oct", "10")
, "nov", "11")
, "déc", "12")
, "^Diary Time (\d+)\s(\d+).?\s(\d+)$", "\3-\2-\1"), 
"%Y-%m-%d")

If you have any advise for something more clean, I am very interested.

Labels