Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to make a abbreviation of long text

Shelaj
6 - Meteoroid

Hi ,

I want to make the text in "Previous column" as the one in " Want" column , I tried using formula(Trim) but can't find a way how to grab characters strings at different positions as shown below

Shelaj_0-1610137070413.png

Kindly help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What is the logic used to get the "want" column? I can't seem to figure out the pattern.

Shelaj
6 - Meteoroid

Hey,

Actually I'm looking to convert "previous" column into "want" only 🙂

However "want" has been created manually but is there any way we can do it in alteryx ?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You would either need a look up table (in which case a find and replace tool could be used to make it) or to establish a rule set in which case you could create a formula. For example you could use a Regex Replace to match capital letters and then the next following 2 letters but this wouldn't be an exact rule.

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Shelaj 

Exactly that you will have to have a reference table.

We can create some dynamic abbreviations like the one below:

pedrodrfaria_0-1610142138497.png

I took the first 3 letters of each word from the company names and created an abbreviation. We could do something like get the 3 letters after each capital letter or something like this.

Would some kind of logic be the solution?

As I said, if you have pre determined abbreviations you will be looking at doing some Find and Replace logic.

Pedro.

Shelaj
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks a lot pedro ! The provided solution will do the best.

Labels