Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to mail data best (with table and header with parts of data)

StephanMatthaeus
6 - Meteoroid

Dear Community,

I tried to find a solution already in the forum, unfortunately without success. I am quite new here and I hope I do not bother you with too simple questions.

I have an excel table with some rows, each row containing some data (like incident number and date, ...). Now I want to mail these data. I use the "Table Tool", which put all data in one table. This table appears in the mail body.

So far so good. Now I want to use some of the data for creating the email header. But I am not able to access to the data any more because they are all in the table now. The "Header field" in "Mail Tool" allows me to enter regular text but when  I check "Use field" it says [no valid fields]

What would be the best way to build a mail header like:

"New: Incident [incident number] happend on [date]"

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Stephan

7 REPLIES 7
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @StephanMatthaeus 

You can use a technique like this.

w.png 

Join your table back to your data.  This way the original fields are available in the email tool.  In this simple example I only have one record in the input.  If you have multiple you'll want to summarize your data before joining to avoid sending multiple emails.

Dan

StephanMatthaeus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @danilang 

Thanks a lot. Perfect and easy solution!

It seems that I have lots to learn...

Stephan

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@StephanMatthaeus 

We all started somewhere.  For myself, it was the weekly challenges that taught me the most.

Dan 

StephanMatthaeus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @danilang,

I tried to use your solution today. Unfortunately without success. Maybe I have overseen a detail?

The problem is that I cannot connect both branches correctly.

in join(?) tool (Toolname in German: Mehrere Verknüpfen, English: ???) I have for Input_#1 the choice of all fields of the data set e.g. number. As Input_#2 I only have table. Using number and table will lead to an error message:

German: Zeichenfolgefelder können nur mit Zeichenfolgefeldern verknüpft werden

English: Type mismatch between table and not table data (like number, ...)

I Hope I could explain clearly. Is there some advice for me?

Many thanks in advance

Stephan

StephanMatthaeus
6 - Meteoroid

I found the detail by myself ... 🙂

In the tool i need to group something.

All grouped data will become a possible input in addition to table.

Now It works. Great.

Thanks again

Stephan

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@StephanMatthaeus 

It sounds like your trying to join a string field to a number field.  My original solution was a guide to how you would do it and not meant to be used as-is.   Here's a new version with multiple incidents in the input.  The table is grouped by incident number and then joined to the input table using the incident number.  Since the join uses the same field as the key, you won't get the error message.

Edit:  Good job, finding the solution.

Dan

StephanMatthaeus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @danilang 

Thanks for your effort!

Meanwhile I found an alternative too:

1.PNG

All data (except table) which will be needed later has to be grouped.

I grouped number only which worked very well.

Maybe there are some side effects when lots of data will be grouped...???

Stephan

Labels