Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to insert text after a variable outline # and before text?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Trying to parse an outlined document.

The bulk of my rows include [Orig] between the outline and the text I want to parse.  I can parse this with a Regex Tool using (\d.+) (\[Orig\] .+) (thanks to the Community).  This is NOT my question.

• 042-1 [Orig] General

My problem is outlined below.  Pun totally intended. 

There are a few "reject" rows that lack the [Orig].     

• 233-4 Inversion Requirement
  • 626-2.1.1 Seating Characteristics Blah Blah

How can I insert a "[Add]" to match the standard configuration and enable it to be parsed with a similar Regex Tool (\d.+) (\[Add\] .+)????

The outline is 1-N.  So, its not just a matter of inserting it X positions from the left. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I might think about this differently. Rather than specifically calling out "Orig" in the regex pattern, I would ask about the spacing. 

Are the outline values always consecutive characters with no spacing? If so, then your delimiter isn't the [Orig], it's the space between them.

Your regex string could be ^.+\s.+ 

Then you wouldn't need the configuration for the [Orig]

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@neilgallen

So, I tried with marked groups.  I want the outline in Col 1 and the Text that either begins or does not begin with [Orig] in Col 2.

( ^.+)\s(.+) 

No joy.  It did not throw an error, just [Null]s.

I also tried a variation of the expression I am currently using (.+) (\[Orig\] .+), without the "Orig" reference.  

(.+) \s (.+)

No joy, more [Null]s.

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

apologies, as sometimes regex is difficult to do off the top of my head without a few testing runs.

([^\s]+)\s(.*$) 

should work. This would parse the full outline to begin the string, and everything AFTER the first space, regardless of the presence of [Orig]

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@neilgallen

([^\s]+)\s(.*$) 

Sorry, still no joy.  All [Nulls] and I tried a few mods. 

Here is real data.

075-1.9 [Orig] All stainless steel fasteners including bolts, threaded nuts, holes and inserts shall be lubricated with a thin coat of anti-seize lubricant, Tef-Gel or equal, prior to assembly.
043-10.1.1 Dimensions given in inches and fractions: blah blah.  More blah blah blah. 
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

see attached. parsing using all non-whitespace seems to get you there.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

It works.  But, what is the significance "\S" vs. "\s"?

I can decipher...

^ start at the beginning of line

\S ???

+ one or more

\s space - (the space between the outline # and what follows)

. any single character (this the start of the text)

*zero or more (characters)

$ until the end

neilgallen
12 - Quasar
\S is non-white space. Essentially the difference of \s
Labels