community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE
Alteryx Gallery is experiencing a problem in which system emails are not being sent out. As a result, if you are attempting to sign up for a new account, you may be unable to verify your email address. We are working to solve this as soon as possible and will remove this notice once resolved.

How to input both Comma delimited and Tab delimited files using Dynamic Input

Atom

Hi

Actually am trying to input certain files from a single folder. All the files are saved in .csv only but few of them are comma separated and rest are tab separated. However the structure in terms of column and order are same and i want to join all of them in a single structure.  Dynamic input is not picking both the type of files together. Is there a better way ?

Really stuck here

Ashish

Highlighted
Pulsar
I know you can enter multiple separator characters in a single text to columns tool i.e ,\t

Can you not do the same with a dynamic input tool? If not, why not load the files with no \0 (no delimiter) and parse the data with text to columns tool as mentioned above?
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @ashish25 

Certainly @DavidP's approach is the one I'd follow.

\0 delimiter brings you kind of a flat file format, and then the challenge is to parse the data, we'd be glad to help you if you provide us a sample of it.

Cheers,

Quasar

Hi @ashish25 

As @DavidP and @Thableaus mentioned, you can have the dynamic input tool read in the files without delimiters. Just set the Delimiters option to \0, as shown below.

image.png

I've also found this works best when you read in the Full Path from the directory tool rather than the File Name.

image.png

You can then set up the Text to Columns tool to parse on either a comma or a tab: Use ,\t in the delimiters field.

Cheers!

Esther

Labels