Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to have tables embedded into one output file containing multiple sheets

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to create 1 output file with 3 sheets - Sheet one is multiple tables (similar to pivots), sheet 2 one table exported not as an excel sheet, sheet 3 a standard excel document. 

I have already created the outputs however i am struggling to put all together - see workflow below. I initially exported as sheets on one excel however when i did this the sheets with the tables on came out as:

Lauren_Holmes_0-1625222286384.png

I have tried rendering to a temporary excel and these come through as i would like however each are separate documents. Am i able to pull all of these together into one document with 3 sheets? If so, how?

Lauren_Holmes_2-1625222766408.png

Lauren_Holmes_1-1625222451607.png

10 REPLIES 10
MatthiasSeil
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

I do see this feasible. Trick here is that you have the table per desired excel sheet grouped separately (with the sheet name as group name in an extra column) and then after that within the layout tool the mode "each individual record" set. Finally you can then render it.

The attached WF describes it in more detail I think. 🙂

Please let me know if that works and if yes please mark this as the accepted solution as it helps Alteryx to differentiate between open and closed topics.

Cheers

M

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MatthiasSeil I have tried this but it is still exporting them as different documents. I need one document with 3 tabs 😞

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lauren_Holmes ,

I've amended it for you. The trick is to include section breaks, and have the breaks split by Segment (in this example).

M.

Bulien

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey Hello, sorry i don't think i am explaining myself enough.

I have 3 outputs already created, 2 are already created in segments and in the desired output ready to be rendered and one is an interactive standard table. I cannot seem to bring all 3 together into one document with 3 tabs. 

I have just had another read on the community and it seems this is not something Alteryx currently is able to do? Last updated March 2021 with no fix. 

Is this the case? 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lauren_Holmes ,

without seeing your data, your workflow or really what you're trying to do this is difficult.

I don't know what a "standard interactive table" is.

Can you post some mock data and your workflow along with a desired output?

M.

Bulien

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey I have attached my example workflow and ideal output.

Currently i cannot find a way to bring all together without exporting all separately as XLS and then copy and pasting. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Lauren_Holmes ,

thanks for that.

This is tricky as you are trying to do two different types of rendering simultaneously.

The primary issue here is that it's easy to do Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 as they are output using the Render tool. Sheet 3 is a different animal, and therefore can't be written simultaneously as it causes an error in Excel. I think this is something to do with the file remaining open following the use of the Render tool.

To get around this I've simply put sheet 3 records into a table and allowed the render tool to do all of the work.

This renders now on three tabs within the same workbook.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello, thanks so much for your help!

This is a great work around :)!!

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif

Bulien