Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to have better substring filter

marlline141
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone,

I try to filter a list based on job title such as IT. It is very annoying by pulling Credit.. any word containing it but I actually look for it director, it manager only.

Please kindly share your thought to make it easier. Thank you very much!!

10 REPLIES 10
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@marlline141 You want to use this function: [Field1] in ('IT')

Attached is the workflow.

Before: 

DiganP_1-1578428415567.png

After:

DiganP_2-1578428431234.png

Does this help?

Digan
Alteryx
marlline141
7 - Meteor

@DiganP 

Thanks for helping out. But it does not work. When I try lowercase([Job Title]) IN ('it'), IT Manager will not be picked up. Could you explain why?

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@marlline141 Its looking for that exact match with the IN function. If you want to include a lowercase 'it', you can use this.

[Field1] in ('IT', 'it')

Digan
Alteryx
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Will the job titles with IT always be multiple words? If so, you can use a filter tool and search for instances of " IT" and "IT ". See attached for an example workflow. 

echuong1_0-1578431769179.png

marlline141
7 - Meteor

I tried couple of examples but IN function does not seem to work.

lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi @marlline141 

Workflow is attached 

How to have better substring filter.png

I can see lots of great solutions in this thread, but I've had a similar problem in the past so I'll adapt that solution here. It might be a little overkill, but perhaps a RegEx statement in a Filter Tool checking that there are no letters linking to 'IT' can solve the issue?

regex_match([Field1], '[A-Z]+it') = 0 AND regex_match([Field1], 'it[A-Z]+') = 0

This will exclude 'Credit', account for either uppercase or lowercase instances of 'IT', and works for the provided examples.

Hope this helps! 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The IN function looks for the entire field to be equal to the specified string. See the below thread for more information on the difference between IN and CONTAINS:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Difference-between-In-function-and-Con...

Try using the CONTAINS function with spaces before and after IT. See the attached workflow. Let me know if that works!

ups366
8 - Asteroid

Hi,@marlline141 

What output as your want ? like below pic:

IN2.png

marlline141
7 - Meteor

@ups366 

Yeah. I ended up going really messy like [Field1] equal to instead of contains because I am filtering job titles. If one observation is title, then it will be pulled. How crazy. 

Thank you very much for your help!!

Labels