Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to have a control check on workflow? (Help!)

mmishal001
8 - Asteroid

I'm looking to highlight to the user if the sum of specific column do not add up to zero.

I want to add a function where after the workflow the summarise tool does not add up to zero - it will not allow the user to output the data.

would be grateful if you could please help with any functionality that would help me achieve this (attached workflow)Untitled.png

4 REPLIES 4
mat_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi mmishal001,

I have had a look see at your workflow, And I'm not to sure i'm exactly across what your trying to achieve,  But we have similar types of checks in some of our workflows and all we use is a Filter Tool....

True goes to the output....

False goes Nowhere (For us its a Browse, But you could get all kinds of funky and make it email or do whatever.)

You can set multiple rules in your Filter Tool using the custom selection and writing a custom formula.

Let me know if this helps, Or If i have missed something.

Thanks

Mat

mmishal001
8 - Asteroid

Hello thank you for your message.

I'm basically concerned with the last couple of tools. 

Essentially, if I run my output as of the workflow attached. I would get my desired output. Just before the output tool - I've attached a summarise tool. As of now - there are two columns on the summarise tool which both add up to zero.

Here's what I'm looking for,

if the two columns on the summarise tool are not zero - I want the output tool to be either blocked or an error message popping up?

mat_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi Again,

I’m not near my pc, however I think I know what you mean and I’ll try and talk you through a quick solution still along the same lines as my earlier message.

you can use the filter, with the output of the summarise create a flag with a formula tool eg if sum of the 2 columns is greater than zero then false otherwise true.

join that into your existing line before your output with an append tool and then place the filter before your output file filtering flag = true.

does that work?

i can do up a workflow when I’m back at work tomorrow if it will help?

Thanks

Mat.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Take a look at the Test tool: https://help.alteryx.com/20193/designer/tools/tool-categories/developer/test-tool 

You can specify that a formula must be true or else an error will be thrown in the workflow. This seems to be exactly what you are looking for. The test tool is found in the developer category or you can type the name of the tool into the top right corner search box of Designer. 

Please see the following link for stopping a workflow on a condition: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Stop-workflow-on-a-condition/ta-p/1...

Labels