Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to handle an API that returns a zipped JSON file?

MichaelBouley
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

I am trying to download survey data from Qualtrics using their APIs within Alteryx. The problem I am running into is that the output is an exported zip file where you need to extract the JSON file. When I run the API in Postman, you will get the response that looks like a bunch of characters, but you have the option to 'Save Response' to a file where I can manually extract, but I am looking to automate this whole thing. 

MichaelBouley_0-1617377934282.png

I've got the API set up in Alteryx, but I don't see any option to download as a zip. I tried outputting as a csv, json file, temp file, but nothing seems to generate the zipped folder. Is this possible with Alteryx?

In the JSON file, I get a fileId and the download header says this:

"DownloadHeaders": "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\ncontent-disposition: attachment; filename=Test+Milestone.zip\r\nContent-Length: 1602648\r\nContent-Type: application/zip\r\nreferrer-policy:

Thanks for any guidance.

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

I'm not sure what tools you've setup in Alteryx currently, but if you can hit the API with the Download tool, then I'd suggest setting the Output configuration of the Download tool to Blob.  Then add a Blob Output tool to write the zip file.  Once the zip is saved, you can extract the JSON and process it as needed.

MichaelBouley
7 - Meteor

@MattBSlalom  - worked great, thank you very much!

Labels